“Polysemy تعدد المعاني
تعدد المعاني هو أنه قد يكون للكلمة معاني مختلفة حسب السياق في النص. وهنا لابد على المترجم أن يقرر المعنى المقصود.
1- The word “see” could mean any of the following:
see vtr (view as a spectator) (يتفرج) يشاهد
- Have you seen her latest film? هل شاهدت اخر افلامها؟
see vtr (observe) (يلاحظ) يرى
- Have you ever seen such a big book? هل رأيت في حياتك كتابًا بهذا الحجم الكبير؟
see vtr (visit) (يزور) يزور
- I’d like to go and see Aunt June this weekend. أحب زيارة العمة جون في نهاية هذا الأسبوع.
see vtr (consult) (يستشير) يزور، يستشير
- I need to see a doctor. أحتاج لزيارة الطبيب.
see vtr (perceive) (يدرك) يرى
- I see the situation differently. أرى الموضوع بشكل مختلف.
see vi (understand) (يفهم) يدرك
- I see. So that’s why you weren’t home. أدرك الآن سبب غيابها من المنزل.
see n (ecclesiastic office) رتبة الأبرشية
- The see was left vacant until a new bishop was appointed.
see vi (have sight) يرى
- I can’t see. Can you turn on the light? لا أرى شيئاً، هل يمكنك تشغيل الإضاءة؟
see vi (pay attention to) يعالج الأمور
- I’ll see to your problem immediately.
see vi (find out) يكتشف
- I’ll see if my father knows anything about it.
see vi (observe) يلاحظ/يشاهد
- Those who saw said it was a terrible sight.
see vi (look at the situation) يرى
- Let’s see, what do we need to do next? دعنا نرى ما يجب عمله بعد الآن
see vtr (make out) يميّز
- Can you see that hill in the distance?
see vtr (visualize) يتصور
- I can just see the look on his face!
see vtr (find acceptable) يقبل
- Yes, I definitely see that. What a great plan!
see vtr (comprehend) يستوعب، يتفهم
- I see what you’re saying, but I still don’t agree.
see vtr (regard as, consider) يتصور، يتو قع
- I see her as a future prime minister.
see vtr (assure) يتأكد
- He looked all around to see that no one was present.
see vtr (date) يتواعد
- We’ve been seeing each other for three weeks. تواعدنا لمدة ثلاثة أسابيع.
see vtr (keep company with) يرافق/يزامل
- You’ve been seeing a lot of those boys lately, haven’t you?
see vtr (attend to) يقابل
- The doctor will see you now.
see vtr (gambling: accept a bet) يتقبل
- I’ll see your hundred, and raise you a hundred.
see vtr (know) يمر بخبرة
- This boat has seen better days.
see vtr (notice) يلاحظ
- I see the miners have gone on strike again, according to the paper.
barely see vtr (have difficulty seeing) يرى بصعوبة
- She could barely see the road through the thick snow.
barely see vi (have difficulty seeing) يرى بصعوبة
Holy See n (Catholicism: Pope’s authority) الكرسى الرسولى، السدة الرسولية أو البابوية
- On Monday, the Holy See released a statement condemning the violence and calling for a peaceful resolution to the crisis.
I see interj (I understand) أنا أفهم
- So you don’t like this office? I see. We’ll try to get you moved as soon as possible.
long time no see interj slang (I haven’t seen you for a long time) لم أرك منذ فترة طويلة
- Hey, Andrew! Long time no see!
make him see vtr (help him to understand) يفهم، يساعده على الفهم
- I wish I could make him see how much I love him.
must-see adj informal ([sth] recommended to be seen) موصى به جداً
see about vtr phrasal insep informal (consider) يدرس، يأخذ بعين الاعتبار، يفكر في
- I might sign up for that class; I haven’t decided. I’ll see about it.
see about vtr phrasal insep informal (attend to, deal with) يهتم بـ، يعالج
- Oh, he thinks he can talk me into something? We’ll see about that.
see after vtr US (look after, take care of) يعتني بـ، يهتم
see both sides v expr figurative (be impartial) يكون على الحياد
- Even though you see both sides, you still have to make a decision.
see daylight v expr figurative, informal (reach the end of a project) يرى النور، ينتهي من مشروع
- After working 15 hours a day on it for three weeks, he finally started to see daylight.
see daylight v expr figurative (come to fruition) يؤتي أُكُلَهُ
- I thought your trip round the world would never see daylight.
see double v expr (have blurred vision) يغشى بصره
- I thought I was seeing double but it was just that my glasses were steamed up. Those are twins? I thought I was seeing double!
أعتقدت أن غشى بصري، لكن اتضح أن نظارتي كانت مُغَيَّمة.
see fit vtr (consider appropriate: to do [sth]) يعتبره ملائماً
- Only use as much paint as you see fit.
see in vtr (greet) يحيي
- How did you see in the New Year?
see in vtr (welcome and show in) يرحب
see into vtr (predict: the future) يتنبأ بالمستقبل
- A clairvoyant can see into the future.
see into vtr (look inside) يمعن، يتمعّن
- I could see into the house through the ground-floor window.
see into vtr (know real nature of [sth]) يدرك طبيعة أو مكنون الشيء
- I could see into the politician’s real motives by closely examining his parliamentary speeches.
see justice done v expr (ensure fairness) يضمن تحقيق العدالة
- I don’t want revenge; all I want is to see justice done.
see off vtr phrasal sep informal (chase away or dismiss) يُبعد، يقصي
- The dog saw off the cat that was eating its food.
see off vtr phrasal sep (say farewell to) يودّع
- He came to the airport with me to see me off. I’ll drive you to the station and see you off. لقد جاء معي إلى المطار ليودّعني.
see out vtr (bid farewell to) يودّع
- It was very late when he saw the last of the guests out.
see out vtr (show to the door) يقود إلى الباب
see red v expr figurative (get angry) يغضب، يشتاط غضباً
- When he insulted my girlfriend I saw red and hit him.
see [sth] in a new light v figurative (gain a fresh perspective on [sth]) يجدّد النظر في
- Since they repainted the town hall I’m seeing it in a new light.
see the difference between vtr (distinguish between) يدرك الفرق بين
- She could not see the difference between the identical twins.
see the future v (know what will happen) يدرك ما سيحدث
- She claims that she can see the future by reading your hand.
see the light v expr figurative (understand) يفهم، يدرك
- After Ann explained it to me I could finally see the light.
see the light of day v expr figurative (come into being) يرى النور
- Your plan is so bad it will never see the light of day.
see through [sth] vtr phrasal insep (look through) يرى من خلال
- I can see through your blouse! Maybe you should wear something else? يمكنني أن أرى من خلال بلوزتك! ألا يمكنك إرتداء ثوباً أخر؟
see through [sth] vtr phrasal insep figurative (not be deceived) يدرك حقيقة الأمر
- Mom can always see through your excuses.
see [sth] through vtr phrasal sep informal (task, project: complete) ينجز، ينهي
- It won’t be easy, but we’ll see this project through.
see [sb] through vtr phrasal sep informal (be sufficient) يكفيك للعيش، يساعدك في المعيشة
- $150 a week is enough to see you through. 150 دولاراً أسبوعيأ تكفيك للعيش.
see to vtr phrasal insep informal (tend or attend to) يحضر، يهتم بالأمر
- Your bicycle has a flat tire, sir? We’ll see to it right away.
see to it vtr informal (ensure, make sure) يتأكد، يؤكد
- See to it that you’re home by midnight, or you’ll be grounded.
see what can be done v expr (try to find solution) يحاول إيجاد حل
- The mechanic said he’d see what can be done to repair my car.
قال الميكانيكي أنه سيحاول إيجاد حل لإصلاح سيارتي.
see with your own eyes v expr informal (witness at first hand) يرى بأم عينه
- I would never have believed it if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes.
see ya interj slang (see you: goodbye for now) نراك: تعبير عن الوداع
see you again interj informal (goodbye until we meet again) نراك فيما بعد، وداعاً
- I have to go now, see you again soon!
See you soon! interj informal (goodbye for now) أراك عن قريب، إلى اللقاء
- See you soon, Edna!
see you there interj informal (goodbye until a given future event) إلى أن نلتقي
see you tomorrow interj informal (goodbye until tomorrow) إلى اللقاء غداً
see-through adj informal (transparent) شفاف
- Her see-through blouse left nothing to the imagination.
2- The word “have” could mean the following:
have v aux (auxiliary used to form perfect tenses) (كفعل مساعد) يملك
ملاحظة: يُستخدم الفعل to have في مثل هذا السياق كفعل مساعد للدلالة على حدث تام.
- I have lost my keys. لقد فقدت مفاتيحي.
have to do [sth] v aux (must) يجب
- I have to finish my homework. يجب أن أتم واجباتي المدرسية.
have [sth] vtr (own) يملك، لديه
- He has a big house and two cars.
إنه يملك بيتًا كبيرًا وسيارتين. / لديه بيت كبير وسيارتان.
have [sth] vtr (be related to: child, etc.) (تعبير ملكية) له عنده
- They have two daughters and a son. لهما (or عندهما) ابنتان وولد.
have vtr (possess: feature) صيغة ملكية
يشمل، يتضمن، يحتوي على
ملاحظة: في مثل هذا السياق، يُعبَّر عن الملكية بالضمائر المتصلة.
- She has a very strong personality. شخصيتها قوية جدًا.
have [sth] vtr (suffer from) (صيغة انتماء) يعانى من
- She has the flu right now. إنها تعاني حالياً من الإنفلونزا.
have vtr (experience) يُمضى
- She’s on holiday and having a great time.
إنها في إجازة وتمضي وقتًا رائعًا.
have [sth] vtr (mentally: have in mind) (صيغة تملك) عنده
- She has a lot of plans. عندها خطط كثيرة.
have [sth] vtr (obtain) أخذ
- Could I have another cup of tea, please?
هل بالإمكان أن آخذ فنجانًا آخر من الشاي، من فضلك؟
have [sth] done vtr (arrange or cause to be done) (صيغة حاجة) يحتاج
- I need to have my car fixed. تحتاج سيارتي للإصلاح
haves npl (group with wealth) الأغنياء
- The gap between the haves and the have nots is growing.
have vi (be wealthy) يثري، يصبح غنياً
- Those who have don’t always understand those who have not.
have [sth] vtr (receive) يستلم
- Have you had your exam results yet?
have [sb] vtr slang (have sex with) يمر بخبرة جنسية
- He’s never had a girl before.
have [sth] vtr (permit, allow) يسمح ب
- He won’t have such behaviour in his presence.
have it that vtr (declare, assert) يعلن
- Legend has it that the lakes are the footprints of a giant.
have vtr (command) يأمر/يطلب
- Have it done by noon.
have [sb] over
have [sb] to stay vtr (invite, entertain) يدعو
- We’re having his parents over for the holidays.
hast v pres archaic (2nd pers singular: have) يمتلك: الاستخدام القديم للفعل have
and what have you adv informal (and the like, and similar) وما شابه
as luck would have it adv idiom (fortunately) لحسن الحظ
- As luck would have it, the strike started the day I was due to fly home.
have a baby v (give birth) تضع طفلاً، تلد
- The Apollo Hospital is the safest and best place to have a baby.
have a baby v (become parents) يصبح أبا أو تصبح أماً
- My good friend told me that he and his wife plan to have a baby soon.
have a ball vi informal (enjoy oneself immensely) يمتع نفسه
- Thank you for a wonderful party; we all had a ball!
have a bias against vtr (be prejudiced against) ينحاز ضد
- They have a bias against assertive women.
have a case v (have persuasive evidence) يمتلك دليلاً مقنعاً
have a case of vtr (be suffering from) يعاني من
have a chance vi (be able to succeed at [sth]) ينجح
- We have a chance of winning if we can carry on at this rate.
have a chance vi (be given the opportunity to do [sth]) فرصة عمل
- If I have a chance I will try and win.
have a chance at vtr (be given the opportunity for) يمتلك فرصة
have a change of heart vi (go against one’s previous decision) يغير مشاعره
- She’s had a change of heart and is inviting her sister after all.
have a cold vi (be suffering from the cold virus) يصاب بالبرد
- I don’t feel like going out today because I have a cold.
have a corner on vtr idiom (own enough of to control market) يتمتع بدرجة سيطرة
- I tried to have a corner on the silver market by buying low priced contracts, but I failed miserably.
have a crush on vtr (be attracted to: [sb]) ينجذب لـ
have a death wish vi informal (behave in a reckless way) يتصرف بتهور
- He drives that car as though he has a death wish.
have a death wish vi (psychiatry: a wish for death of self or another) يتمنى الموت
- The prisoner was observed round the clock in case he had a death wish.
have a dig at vtr informal (make a critical remark about: [sb]) ينتقد
- The sacked workers had a dig at their former boss in the press.
have a discussion vi (converse, discuss, debate) يناقش، يجادل
- We need to have a discussion about where to vacation this year.
have a drink vi (drink [sth] alcoholic) يشرب الكحول
- He is quite talkative tonight; I wonder if he’s had a drink.
have a drink vi (socialize in a bar, pub, etc.) يتآنس مع زوار الحانة
- Why don’t we go and have a drink to remember the good old days?
have a feast v (eat an extravagant meal) يتناول وجبة باهظة
have a feast v (eat a lot) يأكل كثيراً
have a feel for vtr (have a natural understanding of) يدرك، يشعر
- I have a feel for what is needed in this situation.
have a feeling that vtr (suspect that) يشككك في
- I have a feeling that it will rain this afternoon.
have a fight with vtr literal (contend with physically) يتصارع مع
have a fight with vtr figurative (argue or quarrel with) (مجازي) يتجادل مع
- He’s in a bad mood because he had a fight with his wife.
have a flair for vtr (have a natural aptitude for) يميل نحو
have a fondness for vtr (be partial to, like) يتحيّز لـ، يحابي
- I have a fondness for chocolate chip ice cream.
have a go v informal (try, attempt [sth]) يحاول
- I’ll have a go at fixing it, but if that doesn’t work please buy a new one.
have a go at vtr slang (attack verbally) يعنّف، يوبّخ
have a go at vtr informal (attempt, try) يحاول
- If you won’t try, I’ll have a go at solving the puzzle.
have a good chance v (be likely to succeed) يمتلك فرصة جيدة
- I have a good chance of winning the race.
have a good chat v (converse at length) يستمتع بالحديث مع
- I had a good chat with an old friend down at the market yesterday.
have a good day
have a nice day interj (used to wish [sb] a pleasant day) نهارك سعيد
have a good head on one’s shoulders v figurative (be sensible) (مجازي) يدرك، يحس، يشعر
- I think the new employee will work out: she seems to have a good head on her shoulder.
have a good knowledge of vtr (be familiar with, informed about) يعرف جيدأ
- Taxi drivers have to have a good knowledge of all the local streets.
have a good time vi (enjoy oneself, have fun) يمتع نفسه
- Whenever I go out with friends we all have a good time.
have a good weekend interj (used to wish [sb] a pleasant weekend) أتمنى لك نهاية أسبوع سعيدة
- Have a good weekend, and I will see you on Monday.
have a hand in vtr (be partially responsible for) يكون لديه صلة بـ، يكون لديع ضلع في
have a hangover v (suffer after-effects of too much alcohol) يعاني من تأثير الكحول
- Please don’t breath so loud, I have a hangover.
have a hard time v (experience difficulties) يعاني من صعوبات
- I have a hard time swallowing pills without water.
have a heart v informal, figurative (be compassionate) يعطف، يحن، يشعر من الآخرين
have a heart interj informal (be more compassionate) يعطف كثيراً
have a hold on [sth] v literal (have a firm grasp of) يدرك بحزم
have a hold on [sth] v (account: be blocked from using) يجمد حساباً
- Any check I deposit has a hold on it for 7 days.
have a hunch v (suspect or sense) يشك، يستشعر
- I have a hunch that the show will be cancelled; they haven’t sold many tickets.
have a job vi (be in employment) يحصل على عمل
have a job vi slang (experience difficulty: doing [sth]) يواجه صعوبة
- You’ll have a job convincing him to give you a raise.
have a little talk v (discuss sensitive issue) يناقش أموراً حساسة
- Young lady, I think it’s time we had a little talk.
have a look vi (look at or inspect [sth]) ينظر، يلقي نظرة
- I think you should ask the doctor to have a look at it.
have a look at vtr (examine) يفحص
- Could have a look at this letter I’ve written to see if there are any mistakes?
have a lot to do with vtr (be related to) يلعب دورا كبيراً
- Using the right bait has a lot to do with catching fish.
have a lot to say about vtr (openly share one’s opinions on) يشارك في الرأي
- As a working mother she has a lot to say about childcare facilities and unpaid, unscheduled overtime.
have a mind to vtr (be inclined to) يميل نحو
- I have a mind to beat you for saying something so stupid.
have a nice day
have a good day interj (used to wish [sb] a pleasant day) نهارك سعيد
- Thank you for shopping here; have a nice day!
have a nice trip interj (enjoy your vacation, holiday) نتمنى لك رحلة ممتعة
- Here are your tickets, Sir. Have a nice trip!
have a part in vtr (be partially responsible for) يتورّط جزئياً في
have a picture of vtr (envisage, visualize) يتخيّل، يتصوّر
have a piece of vtr informal (have a share in) يتشارك في
have a premonition of vtr (foresee in a vision) يمتلك رؤيا، يتنبّأ
have a quick dip v informal (go for a brief swim) يسبح قليلاً
have a quick dip v figurative (into [sth]: experience briefly ) (مجازي) يخوض تجربة لفترة قليلة
- I had a quick dip into Zen Buddhism when I was about eighteen years old.
have a right to vtr (be entitled to) يحق له، يجوز له
- You have a right to representation by a lawyer.
have a ringside seat v (be in a position to observe) يجلس في مكان بارز
- The water boy has a ringside seat to the football game.
have a row v (quarrel) يتشاجر مع
- They had a row about his staying out all night.
have a run in with
have a run-in with vtr informal (quarrel with) (hyphen required) يتشاجر مع
- I had a run-in with my brother yesterday over whose turn it was to borrow the car.
have a shot at doing [sth] v informal (attempt, try to do [sth]) يحاول عمل شيء ما
- I’d never even seen snow but I thought I´d have a shot at snowboading on the easy slopes.
have a shot at doing [sth] v (have a chance to) يمتلك فرصة لـ
- You have a shot at winning the lottery.
have a shower vi (wash oneself under water spray) يأخذ دشاً (إستحمام)
- I think I’ll go and have a shower.
have a stake in vtr (be affected by) يتأثر بـ
have a strong effect v (make a big impact) يؤثر بقدر كبير
- Bright colors have a strong effect on mood.
have a talent for vtr (be naturally good at) يبرع في
- She has a real talent for getting into trouble.
have a talk with vtr (discuss [sth] with) يتحدّث مع
- If you want to renovate your kitchen, you should have a talk with my brother: he did it last year.
have a taste for vtr (like) يحب، يتذوّق
- I’ve always had a taste for the high life.
have a tendency v (be inclined) يتعلّق بـ، يتجه نحو
- I have a tendency to get carried away and mess things up.
have a theory vi (believe or suspect [sth]) يعتقد او يشتبه
- I have a theory that cats are more intelligent than dogs.
have a thorough knowledge of vtr (be an expert in) يكون ذا خبرة في
- I have a thorough knowledge of the subject.
have a voice in vtr (help decide) يبدي رأياً، يعقّب على
have a weakness for vtr (be fond of) يعجب بـ
- Jill has a weakness for chocolate. That’s why she has trouble dieting.
have a word with vtr (discuss [sth] with) يتحدّث أو يناقش مع
- The boss had a word with Bill about his chronic tardiness.
have all the luck v (be very fortunate) يحالفه الحظ
- You won the lottery? Some people have all the luck.
have an account with vtr (bank with) يفتح حساباً
- I have an account with Lloyds Bank.
have an account with vtr (have a credit account with: a business) يمتلك حساباً في
- I have an account with the university bookshop on the High Street.
have an edge v (be a little better) يشعر بقليل من التحسن
- He always uses superior materials in order to have an edge on the competition.
have an effect v (make an impact) يحدث تأثيراً
- Advertising takes a lot of money to have an effect.
have an eye for vtr (be good at noticing or observing) يمتاز بقوة الملاحظة
- The painter has an eye for detail.
have an idea vi (invent or devise [sth]) يبتكر شيئاً
- I have an idea that will surprise you.
have an idea of vi (have some notion, understanding of) يأخذ فكرة عن
- Do you have an idea of how many people will be coming to the party?
have an impression vi (have a vague idea of [sth]) يتولد لديه انطباع
- I have an impression of her as a bit irresponsible.
have an impression vi (detect or suspect [sth]) يكتشف أو يشتبه
have an inkling vtr (suspect or sense that) يدرك، يحس، يشعر
have an off day vi informal (perform poorly) يمثل أو يؤدي دوراً سيئاً
- I’m doing everything wrong today. I’m having a real off day!
have an opportunity vi (have a chance to do [sth]) يمتلك فرصة
- I’ve had the opportunity to travel the world.
have an understanding vi (have an informal agreement) يتفاهم، يتفق
- My wife and I have an understanding: she does the cooking and I do the washing up.
have another go v informal (try again) يحاول مرة ثانية
- That attempt didn’t work out very well, so I’ll have another go at it.
have another go v informal (games: have another turn) يعيد التجربة
- If you throw a six, you move six squares and then have another go.
have another helping vi (eat an additional serving of [sth]) يتناول صحنا آخر(يزيد الأكل)
- That pudding was delicious, Can I have another helping please?
have at it v slang (attempt to do [sth]) (تعبير عامي) يحاول عمل شيء ما
- If you think you can do a better job, just have at it!
have at [sb] v slang (attack, assault) يهاجم، يعتدي
- Have at you, Sir! cried Sherlock Holmes, drawing his sword-stick.
3- The word “give” could mean the following:
give vtr (hand [sb] sthg) يوصل
- Could you give me that book over there, please?
هل يمكنك إيصال ذلك الكتاب لو سمحت؟
give vtr (hand sthg to [sb]) يعطي
- Can you give that book to me? هل بإمكانك أن تعطيني ذلك الكتاب؟
give vtr (pay) (يدفع) يعطى
- I’ll give you five hundred dollars for that car.
سأدفع لك خمسة مئة دولار مقابل تلك السيارة.
give vtr (supply) يوفر
- The furnace gives heat to the entire house.
يوفر الفرن الدفء للبيت بكامله.
give vtr (bestow, make a gift of) يهدي
- She gave me a tie for my birthday.
أهدتني ربطة عنق بمناسبة عيد ميلادي.
give vtr (assign, allot) يعطي
- After three interviews she was given the job.
أعطوها الوظيفة بعد ثلاث مقابلات.
give vtr (provide) يعطي
- Can you give me something to eat?
هل يمكنك أن تعطيني شيئا للأكل؟
give n (tendency to yield) مرونة
- The floor has a bit of give in it.
give vi (contribute) يساهم/يهب
- Please give generously.
give vi (face onto) يؤدي إلى ، يقود إلى
- The living room gives onto the garden.
give vi (compromise) يستسلم/يسلم، يتنازل
- Someone has to give or we’ll be here all night.
give vi (yield under pressure) يفسح
- This door gives when you lean on it.
give vi (collapse) ينهار
- The chair gave underneath him.
give vtr (present) يقدم (عرضاً)
- She’s giving a piano concert tonight.
give vtr (place in the care of [sb]) يعطي
- I gave them the house keys for the week.
give vtr (utter) يطلق
- He gave a shout and ran towards her. أطلق صرخة وركض نحوها
give vtr (cause) يسبّب
- It gives me great pleasure to welcome you tonight.
give vtr (donate) يهب/يعطي
- He gave his heart and lungs to science.
give vtr (transmit) ينقل/يصيب
- She’s given me her cold.
give vtr (deliver) يوصّل
- Give them our fondest regards.
give vtr (inflict) يعطي
- He gave detention to the whole class.
give vtr (administer, dispense) يعطي الدواء
- How much aspirin should I give her?
give vtr (devote) يمنح/يضحّي، يفد عمره
- She gave her life to the human rights movement.
give vtr (make pregnant) يحبّل
- Her husband gave her two boys within three years of the wedding.
couldn’t-give-a-damn attitude n slang, potentially offensive (apathy, lack of concern) فتور، لا مبالاة
- He may be smart, but there is no way I would hire him with his couldn’t-give-a-damn attitude.
give a boost to [sth] vi (assist or encourage [sth]) يدفع، يدعم، يعزز
- The advertisement gave a boost to the company’s sales.
give a damn v slang (care) يحرص، يهتم، يرعى
- I don’t give a damn that my ex-boyfriend has a new girlfriend!
give a handout vi (give financial aid) يدعم مالياً
- The homeless man who lives down by the river is always looking for a handout.
give a helping hand vi (assist, help) يساعد، يمد يد العون
- You should give a helping hand to the needy.
give a talk vi (conduct a speech or lecture) يلقي خطاباً
- On Monday I have to give a talk about the work I did over the summer.
give aid to vtr (provide charity to) يهب، يمنح، يتصدّق على
- Some criminals ease their conscience by giving aid to the poor.
give and take n informal (compromise, mutual consideration) يبحث عن حل وسط
- Marriage is all about give and take between the partners.
give as a pretext vtr (make an excuse of) يتذرع
- She gave being tired as a pretext for escaping from the boring party.
give away vtr literal (make a gift of) يوهب، يمنح، يتخلّص من
- She put her old clothes in a bag and gave them away.
give away vtr figurative (betray, reveal) يخدع، يفشي سراً
- When you tell a joke, you can’t give away the punch line until the end.
give back vtr (return: [sth] to [sb]) يعيد
- Did you give me back the pen I lent you?
give birth vi (have a baby) تلد، تضع مولوداً
- Sarah gave birth on Tuesday.
give birth to vtr literal (bear: a child) تلد، تضع طفلاً
- Emily gave birth to twin girls last Saturday.
give birth to vtr figurative (create, bring about) يخلق، يحدث، يسبب
- Henry Ford gave birth to the automotive industry.
give comfort vi (console, reassure) يعزي، يواسي
- Religion often gives comfort to people in times of trouble.
give consent vi (agree to [sth]) يوافق، يقبل
- If you’re aged 18 or under, your parents or guardians will need to give their consent.
give credence to vtr (accept as the truth) يسلم بالحقيقة
- You cannot possibly give credence to the word of a man who is a notorious liar!
give credit v (allow [sb] to delay payment) يؤجل سداد الدين
- I soon regretted giving him credit on that purchase.
give credit v (acknowledge [sb]‘s contribution) يقرّ بالجميل
give directions vi (describe a route) يرشد
- They give directions to tourists looking for the mausoleum.
give directions vi (explain how to do [sth]) يشرح، يصف كيفية عمل شيء
- I gave him directions on how to fix the tap but it’s still leaking.
give encouragement vi (offer moral support, cheer [sb] on) يشجع، يحفز
- Mary always gives encouragement to her students.
give evidence vi (testify in a court of law) يدلي بشهادة
- The witness gave evidence that the defendant was indeed guilty of murder.
give ground vi (concede, yield) يتراجع، يتنازل، يتقهقر
- He was so stubborn he would never give ground on any argument.
give his word v (promise) يوعد، يتعهّد
- He’ll be here! He gave his word!
give in vi (surrender, admit defeat) يسلم بـ، يذعن
- I give in; it’s just too difficult.
give in vi (yield to: persuasion, temptation) يتنازل عن
- She always gives in to chocolate after all that dieting.
give information to vtr (guide, advise) يعلّم يرشد
- The doctor gave information about the outbreak to all the patients who came to see him.
give information to vtr (tell [sth] to: police) يخبر أو يبلغ الشرطة
- Anyone who can give information to the police on the recent robberies, please contact us right away.
give instruction vi (teach, train) يعلّم، يدرّب
give it a second thought v informal (reconsider or reflect on it) يفكر مليّاً في الأمر
- He dropped what he was doing and went to her without giving it a second thought.
give life to vtr (animate, enliven) يحيي، يفعم بالحياة
- Her presence gave life to the boring party.
give life to vtr (give birth to) ينتج، يولّد
give notice vi (warn, inform) ينذر، يعطي إنذاراً
- I hereby give notice that there is a claim against the property.
give notice vtr (quit job) يستقيل
- I’ve just given notice to the boss that I’m quitting in two weeks.
give off vtr (emit) يشع، يبث
- She gives off a strong smell of perfume when she passes by.
give off heat vi (emit warmth) يشع حرارة
- Traditional incandescent light bulbs give off heat primarily; the light is a by-product.
give out vtr (distribute) يوزع، ينشر
- The teacher gives out the notes to the students.
give out vi informal (bodily organ: fail) يتعطّل: عضو جسدي
- His heart finally gave out and he died.
give out vi (be used up: money strength) يقدم كل ما يملك
- He had been ill for so long that his will to live finally gave out.
give out heat vtr (radiate warmth) يشع حرارة
- That little furnace certainly gives out a lot of heat for its size.
give over interj UK, slang (stop, desist) يكف عن، يتوقف عن
- Give over: he’s not as bad as that!
give pleasure vi (be enjoyable) يسر، يبهج
- A beautiful sunset always gives me pleasure.
give prominence to vtr (stress, highlight) يشدد على، يسلط الضوء على
- When writing your CV, always give prominence to your strengths and minimize your weak points.
give recognition vi (acknowledge [sth] or [sb] as important) يقر بشيء أو شخص
- This award is to give recognition for all your hard work.
give relief vi (soothe, alleviate: pain, burden, etc.) يهديء، يخفف، يسكّن الألم
- Take this medicine, it’ll you give you some relief.
give [sb] a bad name vi (damage [sb]‘s reputation) يشوه السمعة
- You give love a bad name (Bon Jovi, 1986!).
give [sb] a complex vi (make [sb] extremely self-conscious) يعقّد نفسياً
- If you keep mentioning her weight, you’ll give her a complex.
give [sb] a good telling-off vi informal (reprimand [sb] severely) يوبّخ، يعنّف
- When the boss found out what had happened, Sally was taken into the office and given a good telling-off.
give [sb] a hand vi (help [sb]) يساعد، يعين
- I needed help carrying the wardrobe and the neighbour gave me a hand.
give [sb] a shout out expresUS, informal (acknowledge [sb] by name) ينادي شخصاً بالاسم
- During his speech, the student gave a shout out to the teachers who had encouraged him.
give [sb] hell vi slang (reprimand [sb] severely) يوبّخ، يعنّف
- If you disobey your boss, he will give you hell.
give [sb] help vi (assist [sb]) يساعد، يعين
give [sb] your two cents v US, figurative (tell [sb] your opinion) يعبّر عن وجهة نظره
give [sth] a try v informal (sample [sth]) يجرّب، يعاين
- You shouldn’t say you hate sushi without giving it a try first.
give [sth] a try v informal (attempt [sth]) يحاول، يجرّب
- If you’ve never gone skiing, you should give it a try.
give [sth] up vi (stop doing, using [sth]) يقلع عن
- It’ll be hard, but I’m going to try giving up chocolate for Lent.
give support vi (help, assist) يساعد، يعين، يدعم، يساند
- They asked me to give support to a cause I don’t believe in.
give thanks vi (be thankful, express thankfulness) يشكر
give thought to v (consider) يعتبر، يفكر في الأمر
give up vi + vtr (surrender) يستسلم، يتنازل
- I give up – you’re far better than me at this game!
give up vi (stop trying) يتوقف عن المحاولة
- I gave up going there.
give up hope v (become pessimistic) يفقد الأمل
- When looking for a job, the key is not to give up hope.
give up hope v (resign oneself) يستسلم، يقبل بالواقع
give up on v (loose confidence in: [sb], [sth]) يفقد الثقة بـ
- Don’t give up on me! I just need a little more encouragement.
give up on v (cease to attempt to do, accomplish: [sth]) يقلع عن
- I gave up on coming up with a good example for this.
give warning vi (warn [sb] of [sth] in good time) ينبّه، يلفت انتباه
- Scientists gave warning that the volcano could erupt at any moment, but the local population refused to believe them.
give way vi (driving: yield, give priority to) ينسحب
- Drivers should always give way to pedestrians.
give way vi (fall, collapse, break under pressure) ينهار، يسقط، يتلف بفعل الضغط
- The bridge columns could not resist the strong current and ended up giving way.
give way to vtr (driving: yield to, give priority to) يخلي المكان، يعطي الأولوية لـ
give way to vtr (give in to: [sb], [sth]) يعطى حق الأولوية
not give a darn v slang, euphemism (not care) لا يكترث
- Frankly, I don’t give a darn about politics.
not give up v expr (persevere) لا يفقد العزيمة، لا يتخلى عن، لا يستسلم
- John got tired in the middle of the race, but he did not give up.”