Selecting the knot to be used is not an easy choice and has to be decided according to a series of factors of which the most important are:
- The tissue or organ to be sutured.
- The depth of the wound: When the wound is located in a place of limited access, we might need a knotting technique that requires a finger or an instrument.
- The amount of tension that the wound will eceive postoperatively.
- The sutures’s material and structure. – This is an important issue, as it will determine the number of throws needed to hold the knot.
- The desired cosmetic results.